A digest of What’s On in and around Vancouver during this weekend including free fun family activities, live music, performing arts & theatre, festivals and sports events – March 22 to 24, 2019
- Family Activities
- Live Music/ Concerts & Music festivals
- Live Theatre & Theatre Festivals
- All Other Events
I. Family & Kids Activities this Spring Break
Festival du Bois
It’s a weekend celebration of francophone and French-Canadian culture – the largest in BC. Come enjoy amazing music and dance, great traditional food, shows for kids, fun activities, and so much more.
March 22 to 24, 2109
1046 Brunette Avenue, Coquitlam
$5 – $22
Spring Break Fun for Gills and Buoys
Did you know that Two-toed sloths can hold their pee for 156 hours? Or that male seahorses give birth to 150 babies every three months? Experience the weird, wonderful – and intriguingly normal – this Spring Break at the Vancouver Aquarium®, an Ocean Wise® initiative. Special activities and program will keep little ones and their grownups fascinated and having fun all break long.
March 16 to 31, 2019 | 9:30 AM. to 6 PM
Vancouver Aquarium, 845 Avison Way, Vancouver
Spring Break at the Space Centre
Do you have a young space enthusiast in the family? Join us over Spring Break for some special activities and programming focused on “Exploring the Sun” and “Exploring the Moon”. These family friendly activities will run daily throughout Spring Break. We will also be premiering the film The Sun: Our Living Star in the planetarium star theatre (March 16th).
March 16 to 31, 2019 | 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
H.R. MacMillan Space Centre, Vancouver
Burnaby Museum Spring Break
Visit Burnaby Museum during spring break and enjoy fun activities.
March 18 – 29, 2019
Burnaby Village Museum & Carousel – 6501 Deer Lake Avenue, Burnaby
Family Intro to Music Night
Please join us at LCMS from for an evening of musical fun for the entire family. Try a variety of instruments, meet our teachers, make new friends, have all of your questions answered and hear special student performances.
Tuesday, March 19 2019 | 6:00 PM
Langley Community Music School
4899 207 Street Langley
Spring Break – Treasure Boxes
Our current exhibit Heirlooms & Treasures celebrates cultural heritage and objects we hand down from generation to generation. Join us at Mackin House to decorate a wooden treasure box to hold all your precious keepsakes. Please wear paint friendly clothes.
March 19, 2019 | 1-3 PM
Coquitlam Heritage Society
1116 Brunette Avenue Coquitlam Canada
WCA Spring Carnival
Binge on our amazing rides like the Scrambler, Hurricane, Himalaya, and the classic Ferris Wheel. Leave yourself dizzy and delighted. Challenge yourself or dare your friends to our spectacular rides, or let your kids loose in Kiddieland.
March 20 to 31, 2019
Landsdowne Centre, 5300 #3 Road
$40 wristbands daily
Elephant and Piggie’s “We Are in A Play!”
A delightful new musical about two best friends and their many adventures; this charming story based on the best-selling book series by award-winning author Mo Willems. Filled with beloved characters and lively songs, it’s the perfect adventure for young audiences!
March 2-31, 2019
Waterfront Theatre, 1412 Cartwright St., Vancouver
$18 to $35
Spring Break – Quilting Bee
Learn to sew quilt squares on a 1920’s sewing machine and by hand. Our Heirlooms & Treasures exhibit celebrates skills that are passed down through our cultural heritage. Sewing is a relaxing and useful craft that is used across cultures. Help us to sew squares that will create Mackin House’s Heirloom quilt, and make a small quilt collage to take home with you. Refreshements will be served.
March 21, 2019 | 1-3 PM
Coquitlam Heritage Society
1116 Brunette Avenue Coquitlam
$10 per child
Experience the forest through the eyes of a gnome on a 1-hour nature quest. Sneak a peek at the new nature discovery area. Bring food to roast on the campfire. Costumes welcome.
Thursday March 21, 2019 | 10:30 AM – 1:30 PM
Aldergrove Regional Park, 8th Ave, Langley.
Healthy Family Expo
With 200+ exhibitors, a 35,000 sq ft Active Kid Zone, and a star-studded line-up on stage (did we mention Daniel Tiger, True, Scout & Daisy?!), this is a must-attend spring break event for Metro Vancouver families.
Sunday, March 24, 2019 at 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Vancouver Convention Centre East, 999 Canada Place, Vancouver
$21 to $25; Under 17: Free
Nature at night is a magical experience. Wander 2 km of lantern-lit trails and explore like owls, coyotes and other nocturnal creatures.
Bring a flashlight or lantern, and a mug for the cash-only concession. Trails are stroller-accessible.
Saturday, March 23, 2019 | 7:00 PM to 9:30 PM
Pacific Spirit Regional Park – 4915 W. 16th Ave, Vancouver
Vancouver Kids Fashion Week
See fashionable clothing made for kids.
March 23 & 24, 2019
David Lam Hall, Chinese Cultural Centre of Greater Vancouver
$25 & up
More Spring Break Ideas
- Cineplex March Break Family Favourites @ Cineplex Theatres
- March & Spring Break Fun @ Toy’s R Us
- Chapters/ Indigo Stores March Break
- Landmark Cinemas March Break (New Westminster)
- Michaels Stores Drop-in Crafts
More Family Activities
1. Vancouver Public Library holds plenty of fun events throughout the year! Have fun times for free!
2. See a movie.
Family Favourites Cineplex: Visit participating Cineplex theatres near you and watch a family favourite film each week for only $2.99. | Saturdays at 11:00 AM
3. Every Sunday, Vancouver Art Gallery offers FREE admission for children 12 & under when accompanied by an adult. Sundays at the Gallery offers a unique art experience for children and their families to have free and regular access to all of the Gallery’s exhibitions as well as the Weekly Family Programs, which feature family-geared programming that explores themes and activities related to the current exhibitions.
4. Museum Tots
This program, geared toward children ages 2 – 5, explores the museum world of learning through play, crafts, dance, and games.
Saturdays | 11 AM –12 PM @ The Maritime Museum of BC
II. Live Music & Concerts This Week in Vancouver
Concert Tours/EDM and Weekday Concerts
- The Cat Empire – Stolen Diamonds Tour on Monday, March 18 | 08:00 PM @ Commodore Ballroom
- Foals on Monday, March 18 | 08:00 PM @ Orpheum Theatre
- Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats and Graveyard – Peace Across the Wasteland on Tuesday, March 19 | 07:00 PM @ Commodore Ballroom
- Amyl and the Sniffers, Fashionism, BB on Tuesday, March 19 | 09:00 PM @ The Fox Cabaret
- LOW on Tuesday, March 19 | 8:00 PM @ Imperial
- Oliver Heldens on Thursday, March 21 | 10:00 PM @ Celebrities
- 12th Planet on Thursday, March 21 | 10:00 PM @ Venue
- Colin James on Thursday, March 21 | 07:30 PM @ Orpheum Theatre
- Bluetech w/ with Emog, kimmyk on Thursday, March 21 | 9:00 PM at Rickshaw Theatre
- Marie Davidson (Live) on Thursday, March 21 | 09:00 PM @Fortune Sound Club
- King Buffalo, We Hunt Buffalo, Killer Deal on Friday, March 22 | 09:00 PM @ The WISE Hall
- Ella Vos on Friday, March 22 | 07:00 PM @ Biltmore Cabaret
- Vince Staples: Smile, You’re On Camera on Friday, March 22 | 08:00 PM @ Harbour Convention Centre
- Common Ground on Friday, March 22 | 10:00 PM @ MIA Nightclub
- Oliver Smith on Friday, March 22 | 10:00 PM @ Celebrities
- ONE OK ROCK – Eye of the Storm North America Tour on Friday, March 22 | 7:00 PM @ @ Vogue Theatre
- Ella Vos – Watch & Wait Tour on Friday, March 22 | 7:00 PM @ Biltmore Cabaret
- Crazy Diamonds Live on Friday, March 22 | 7:30 PM @ The Planetarium
- Another Night Out For Music Heals on Friday, March 22 | 7:30 PM @ Rickshaw Theatre
- Royal Canoe: Waver Tour on Saturday, March 23 | 07:00 PM @ Biltmore Cabaret
- Westerman and Puma Blue on Saturday, March 23 | 08:00 PM @ The Fox Cabaret
- Celine Dion and Michael Buble Tribute on Saturday, March 23 | 08:00 PM @ River Rock Casino Resort
- Polyrhythmics with MNGWA on Saturday, March 23 | 08:00 PM @ Rickshaw Theatre
- Nora En Pure on Saturday, March 23 | 10:00 PM @ Celebrities Underground
- Tech N9ne live on Saturday, March 23 | 9:30 PM @ Harbour Event Centre
- Wet & Kilo Kish on Saturday, March 23 | 7:00 PM @ The Imperial
- Matthew Good with w/ Special Guests, Poesy on Saturday, March 23 | 8:00 PM @ Vogue Theatre
- JAMES BLAKE with Khushi on Saturday, March 23 | 8:00 PM @ Harbour Convention Centre
- The New Groovement w/ Raincity on Saturday, March 23 | 7:00 PM @ The Roxy Cabaret
- Mt. Joy on Sunday, March 24 | 07:00 PM @ Imperial
- HÆLOS on Sunday, March 24 | 08:00 PM @ The WISE Hall
- Mt. Joy with with guests on Sunday, March 24 | 8:00 PM @ Imperial
- Xiao qinglong Live on Sunday, March 24 | 9:00 PM @ Harbour Event Centre
Tausk Conducts Mozart
Mozart was arguably history’s greatest composer, and hearing his final three symphonies performed together in one concert is a transcendent musical experience and a unique insight into one of the greatest creative geniuses the world has ever known.
March 22 & 23, 2019 | 08:00 PM
Chan Centre for the Performing Arts at UBC
6265 Crescent Rd, Vancouver
$19.50 – $72.00 + Applicable Charges
Loud and Queer
This concert recognizes the fiftieth anniversary of homosexual rights in Canada and celebrates the many, many vibrant voices that make up our queer community. More Details
Saturday, March 23, 2019 | 07:30 PM
823 Seymour St, Vancouver
$19.00 – $30.00 + Applicable Charges
The Choir of Clare College, Cambridge
The thirty-two voices-strong ensemble of the Choir of Clare College give a complete performance of Tomas Luis de Victoria’s 1605 Requiem, one of the great masterworks of choral music, in St. James’ Anglican Church, a choice venue for the repertoire. More Details
Friday, March 22, 2019 | 07:30 PM
St. James Anglican Church, 303 East Cordova Street Vancouver
$25 to $30
Sonic Boom Festival
A four day festival of exciting new music created by BC’s finest composers, performed by eclectic combinations of some of BC’s finest musicians!
March 21-24, 2019
Pyatt Hall and the Orpheum Annex, Vancouver
$15 to $50
Vancouver Ukulele Festival
An enchanting festival of Ukulele performances, where the versatility and beauty of the Ukulele is presented by the Internationally acclaimed VUF tutors 2019. More Details
March 22 to 24, 2019
The Croatian Cultural Centre, 3250 Commercial Drive, Vancouver
Vancouver Bach Choir: Andrew Downing’s Nosferatu
With some of the most iconic imagery in film, we bring Nosferatu to the Orpheum stage with a newly imagined score by Andrew Downing. After bringing to life Phantom of the Opera in our 15/16 and … season, Mr. Downing returns with a new vision for this classic from film history that was nearly destroyed. Created in 1922, Nosferatu tells the story of Bram Stoker’s Dracula, here known as Count Orlof. More Details
Saturday 23 March 2019 | 7:30 PM
Orpheum Theatre, Vancouver
$31 to $61
III. Live Theatre
- What’s On Stage
- Savage Love Live with special musical guest Rachel Lark and comedian Corina Lucas on March 23 | 8:00 PM @ Vancouver Playhouse
Renowned Chilean Playwright/Screenwriter/Director Guillermo Calderón has gone wild within Swiss modernist Blaise Cendrars’ novel Gold (1925) about the opportunistic Johann August Sutter. A film within a play, premiered in 2017, GOLDRAUSCH is a comedy with music that journeys through film director Oskar’s efforts to make a film about the man who started the Gold Rush Fever of 1848: the “Emperor of California”. More Details
March 14 – 30 | 7:30 PM
Chan Centre for the Performing Arts
6265 Crescent Road, UBC Vancouver
$5 – $24
The story revolves around an environmental activist who falls in love with her opposite, while her co-dependent brother spirals into chaotic self-destruction and does everything he can to push the lovers apart. This smart new play asks us whether our failings at human intimacy are inextricably linked to our failure to protect our planet. More Details
March 14 to 23, 2019
Firehall Arts Centre
280 East Cordova Street, Vancouver
$25 to $33
Vancouver International Dance Festival
The Vancouver International Dance Festival is an inclusive festival that presents performances and workshops by diverse contemporary dance artists from Vancouver, Canada, and abroad. More Details
March 4 to 30, 2019
Various Venues, Vancouver
Free & Ticketed Events
Multiple Organism is a genre and gender-bending surrealist comedy for adults (18+) about having a body and how our body is seen by others. Expect bizarre and hilarious nudity using the body as a projection surface, plus colourful shadow puppetry projections, and an original musical soundtrack. More Details
March 19 – 30, 2019
Culture Lab, 1895 Venables Street Vancouver
Fresh takes on the theme of betrayal featuring Studio 58 students as writers, directors, designers, songwriters and performers.
March 21 -31, 2019
Studio 58, 100 West 49th Avenue, Vancouver
Between 1914 and 1918, over four thousand Indigenous men volunteered to fight and die for Canada in WW1. Redpatch tells a part of this story through the eyes of a soldier from the Nuu-chah-nulth nation of Vancouver Island.
March 7–31, 2019
BMO Theatre Centre – 162 West 1st Ave, Vancouver
$28 & up
The Orchard (After Chekhov)
It’s Chekhov’s The Cherry Orchard, but told through the lens of a Punjabi-Sikh family in the Okanagan Valley. With the bank calling and money low, will the Basrans be able to save their beloved orchard? Inspired by the playwright’s own childhood, this fresh adaptation confronts life, loss, and the Canadian immigrant experience with humour and beauty.
March 21–April 21, 2019
Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage, 2750 Granville Street, Vancouver.
$29 – $95 + charges
Hot Brown Honey
Packing a punch of hip hop politics, the Honeys will make you laugh, cry, clap and shake what your mama gave you. This stellar posse of phenomenal women make noise as they defiantly smash stereotypes and remix the system.
March 15 to 30, 2019
York Theatre – 639 Commercial Dr, Vancouver
$10 to $69
Mystery at Greenfingers
The closed Greenfingers Palace Hotel and part of its staff is enduring a violent snowstorm. Into this group comes Robert Crowther, a rather stupid house detective sent to investigate something secret. As the storm intensifies, a Miss Tracey appears and has a passenger brought in from her car.
March 22 to 24, 2019
PAL Studio Theatre 581 Cardero Street – 8th floor
The tight-knit Campbell family prides themselves on their West Coast open-mindedness – from drug use to political resistance, nothing is off the table. But when their daughter Clara comes home from college and announces she’s become a Christian, their tolerance is put to the test. More Details
March 1 to 23, 2019
Pacific Theatre – 1440 W 12th Ave, Vancouver
$14.95 to $36.50
Shen Yun’s unique artistic vision expands theatrical experience into a multi-dimensional, deeply moving journey through one of humanity’s greatest treasures—the five millennia of traditional Chinese culture. More Details
March 21 to 31, 2019
Queen Elizabeth Theatre – 600 Block Hamilton St., Vancouver
$95 to $239 +charges
IV. Sports & Related Events
vs. Ottawa Senators on Wednesday, March 20, 2019 | 07:00 PM
vs. Calgary Flames on Saturday, March 23, 2019 | 07:00 PM
vs. Columbus Blue Jackets on Sunday, March 24, 2019 | 07:00 PM
Rogers Arena, Vancouver
vs. Colorado Mammoth
Friday, March 22, 2019 | 07:00 PM
Rogers Arena, Vancouver
Concacaf Nations League
Canada Men’s National Team v French Guiana
Sunday, March 24, 2019 | 03:00 PM
BC Place , Vancouver
V. Exhibitions, Festivals & Other Events
You may like:
- Salsa Tuesdays — Every Tuesday | 9pm to 10pm @ Studio Nightclub 919 Granville St. Vancouver
- Tech & Startup Weekly — Every Friday between 7 to 9 pm @ Tungsten-Moly Room 14th Floor- 1040 W Georgia St, Vancouver
- Northern Lights Festival — March 9th – 23rd, 2019 @ Fort Nelson
- Paul Hobbs Wine Dinner Series on Tuesday, March 19, 2019 | 6:30 PM @ 1886 Meeting Room, Level 3, Parq Vancouver
An Intimate Conversation with Michelle Obama
Attendees at Mrs. Obama’s events will hear her honest reflections on the experiences and events, both public and private, that have shaped her, from her childhood on the South Side of Chicago to her years as an executive balancing the demands of motherhood and work, to her years spent at the most famous address in the world.
Thursday, March 21, 2019 | 8:00 PM
Rogers Arena — 800 Griffiths Way, Vancouver
$29.5 – $1050 + charges
MAPLE RIDGE FESTIVAL OF BC FILM
The Maple Ridge Festival of BC Film is thrilled to return March 23–24, 2019. The festival is organized by The ACT Arts Centre in partnership with The Ridge Film Studios and with the support of The City of Maple Ridge. Fred Armstrong, host and film-buff extraordinaire, will host post-screening conversations with filmmakers.
March 23–24, 2019
- Maker of Monsters: The Extraordinary Life of Beau Dick on Saturday, March 23, 2019 | 8:45 PM
- Haida Gwaii: On the Edge of the World on Saturday, March 23, 2019 7:00 pm
- Meditation Park on Sunday, March 24, 2019 | 4:00 PM @ The ACT Arts Centre
- Rehearsal on Sunday, March 24, 2019 2:00pm
The ACT Arts Centre, 11944 Haney Place, Maple Ridge
Vancouver Fashion Week
Vancouver Fashion Week is the second biggest fashion week in North America and longest running in Canada. Join us on our 31st season featuring talented local and international designers for a week of fun, fashion and festivities.
March 18 to 24, 2019
David Lam Hall, 50 East Pender Street, Vancouver
$30 to $3560
Vancouver International Auto Show
More than 500 vehicles will be on display from the world’s best manufacturers, including test drives of clean energy vehicles. Check out crazy customs, vehicle debuts and concepts, muscle cars and hot rods all the way up to lifted trucks and one of a kind exotic vehicles.
March 19 to 24, 2019
Vancouver Convention Centre, 1055 Canada Place
$5 to $42
Vancouver Orchid Society Annual Show and Sale
See award winning displays of orchids and get some for your home!
Saturday, March 23 | 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Sunday, March 24 | 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
VanDusen Botanical Garden Floral Hall, 5251 Oak, Vancouver
$7 Adults; $6 Students & Seniors($1 off coupon on website)
Veg Speed Date
These events are exclusively for vegan and vegetarian singles across North America, ensuring that one of the biggest barriers many veg singles face — finding a person who is down with their lifestyle choices — is eliminated.
Saturday, March 23, 2019 | 4-6 PM
88 Pender St W # 1005, Vancouver
You may like: