From powder hound boondocking and free fishing to fireworks, beer and food fests, music festivals, and free family festivals, there are plenty of ways to celebrate family day weekend across Ontario.
1. Free Fishing Weekend
2. Family Day Weekend in Ontario Parks (National & Provincial)
3. Things to Do During Family Day Weekend: Festivals and other events
4. Family Day weekend: Ontario Resort Getaways
5. Family Day Weekend in Ottawa, GTA (Toronto, York, Durham, Peel, Halton), Hamilton, Kitchener-Waterloo Region, and London
FREE FISHING WEEKEND
OFFE is a province-wide opportunity for Canadian residents to fish Ontario licence-free. There are two periods throughout the year, the 3-day Family Day weekend in February, and a full 9-days in July, which coincides with National Fishing Week.
Bring your family to the OFAH Family Ice Fishing Day at Bel Rotary Park, in Ennismore, Saturday February 16 from 10-2! Enjoy a free day of ice fishing with family and friends. All bait and equipment is provided, and every child takes home a prize. Canadian residents can fish licence-free. Then come and warm up with hot chocolate or chow down our free BBQ (12-2) at the OFAH | Mario Cortellucci Heritage Centre at 4601 Guthrie Drive in Peterborough from 10-4!
FAMILY DAY WEEKEND IN ONTARIO PARKS
- Family Day at Point Pelee National Park: The Warbler Capital of Canada is hosting special family day weekend celebration. Join for the Great Backyard Bird Count weekend, enjoy a warm cup of hot chocolate, and marshmallows before heading out on a trail for a game of Pelee Bingo, jooin for Kids’ Craft Centre with winter bird themed crafts and a special feature film and go for the annual Owl Prowl. February 15 to 18, 2019 @ Point Pelee National Park, Leamington
- WinterRouge: Bundle up for a full day of FREE, family-friendly winter activities at Rouge National Urban Park. Activities include winter birding outing in support of the Great Backyard Bird Count, Build your own pinecone bird feeder, snowshoeing, Learn-to Camp team with s’more fun near the campfire, Sampling of some authentic 18th century heritage hot chocolate, live ice carving demonstrations, Special Family Day guided walks and more! Monday, February 18th @ Bob Hunter Memorial Welcome Area, 7277 14th Avenue, Markham
- Family Day 2019 with the Friends of Sandbanks Park: Join in for the winter event that includes cross-country skiing, tobogganing and other outdoor activities set around a roaring bonfire. Inside the Maple Rest, there will be hot chocolate, and a musical jam session. February 18, 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM @ Maple Rest Heritage House, Sandbanks Provincial Parks, Prince Edward County
- Winter Weekend with Friends of Killarney Park: Join the Friends of Killarney Park for the annual Winter Weekend and discover the beauty of winter in Killarney! Activities Include:- Free Stargazing with Bill Gardner- Free BBQ Lunch- Free Kids Activities- Free Guided Snowshoe Hikes- Free guest speaker presentation – Buffet Dinner at Sportsman’s Inn ($30/person) on February 16 & 17 @ Killarney Provincial Park
- Winter in the Wild: Join Ontario Parks and The Friends of Algonquin Park to celebrate winter in Algonquin Park through this family event. Indoor and outdoor events will be held at various locations throughout the Highway 60 Corridor of the park, including many at the Visitor Centre. All of the activities during the festival are free with the purchase of a Daily Vehicle Permit or Camping Permit (with the exception of food). February 16, 2019 @ Algonquin Provincial Park
- Snowfest at MacGregor Point: Enjoy a challenge with MacGregor Point Survivor on Saturday. Or, take in a live Birds of Prey show from Wild Ontario on Sunday at 2:00 p.m. Lastly, don’t miss the dogsledding demonstration on Monday in the Skating Oval parking lot. February 16 to 18, 2019 @ isitor Centre Ice Pad – Cedar Lane Skating Oval, MacGregor Point Provincial Park, Port Elgin
- Family Day Weekend at Rondeau: Join us at the Visitor Centre over the Family Day weekend for some winter fun! There will be guided hikes, an Owl Prowl and much more! February 16 to 18, 2019@ Rondeau Provincial Park Visitor Centre, Morpeth (Chatham-Kent)
- Family Day Weekend at Pinery: Be sure to check out the Visitor Centre between 10AM-5PM on Saturday, Sunday, or Monday, and take in a fun nature program with your friends and family! Grab your friends and family to head out on an adventuresome scavenger hunt! Pick up your challenge sheet at the Visitor Centre. February 16 to 18, 2019 @ Pinery Provincial Park, Grand Bend
- Family Day at Bronte Creek: Visit us at our Nature Centre for live animals, hands-on activities, nature and heritage crafts and more! Other park attractions include Children’s Playbarn, farm animals, toboggan hill and trails! February 18, 2019 @ Children’s Farm and Nature Centre, Bronte Creek Provincial Park, Oakville
- Family Day at Windy Lake: Onaping Falls Nordics Ski Club is offering free day passes for the xc ski and snowshoe trails, along with Family Day activities including games, prizes, a campfire and hot dogs. Ski 15K of beautifully groomed classic and skate ski trails, or snowshoe through 8K of forested snowshoeing trails. @ Onaping Falls Nordics Ski Trails, Windy Lake Provincial Park, Onaping
FAMILY DAY WEEKEND FESTIVALS
FAMILY DAY WEEKEND RESORT GETAWAYS
Hockley Valley Resort
Stay and Ski! Getaway and take time out for some quality time with the whole family! Package includes: Overnight Accommodation, Breakfast, One ski lift ticket per person. Activities included are Prince & Princess manicures & pedicures, bonfire & S’mores, cupcake decorating, “Wild Ontario” live Birds of Prey Show, dance party, family movie and more! Details
3rd Line EHS, Mono.
Experience the best of cottage country at Ontario’s All-Inclusive Resort. Our packages include accommodation, 3 delicious meals a day and tons of family winter activities: dogsledding, snowshoeing, horse-drawn wagon rides, hockey on the lake and skating on our 1.5 km skating trail. There’s even a Kids’ Club for our youngest guests. Details
4432 Fern Resort Road, Ramara
Pine Vista Resort
Enjoy 3 nights in a cottage or resort townhouse with fully equipped kitchen, 4 pc bath with whirlpool bath, TV/DVD, wood fireplace and deck with BBQ. The whole family can be enjoying our “hot tub under the stars”, indoor hot tub, games and fitness rooms, go cross country skiing, snowshoeing, skating, tobogganing, and hiking. Parents can treat themselves to a quiet, relaxing therapeutic massage With our Registered Massage Therapist. Take part in our organized recreation activities, including a horse drawn sleigh/wagon ride followed by hot chocolate and cookies, winter carnival with face painting, tobogganing, maple taffy, plus crafts, movie nights, outdoor games, campfires and more. Details
932 Gilchrist Bay RD, Douro-Dummer.
Nottawasaga Inn Resort
The upcoming Family Day Weekend is a great time for a family getaway and the resort is offering value filled Passport to Play promotion to help you make the most of it. Book a one or two night stay from February 15 – 17, 2019 on the Passport to Play promotion and receive admission for up to two children to our popular pay-as-you-go kid’s programs for FREE!
6015 Highway 89, Alliston
Bayview Wildwood Resort
Enjoy family time this winter for a Winter Resort to Fun, Family Day or March Break getaway. Discover snowshoeing, X-country skiing, tobogganing or skating on the lake. Family entertainment, outdoor winter fun & indoor recreation centre with pool. All-inclusive packages include lakeside accommodation, dinner & breakfast daily, family activities and entertainment. Details
1500 Port Stanton Pkwy, Severn Bridge.
Ph: (800) 461-0243
Friday Harbour Resort
From magicians to horse-drawn wagons, crafts to scavenger hunts and all sorts of outdoor fun like skating parties, snowshoe tours and snow baseball this weekend will be one for the books. Ice sculptors and wood carvers will be putting on live demonstrations around the campfire as hot drinks and steaming bowls of chili are served at the Beach Club Window. Kids can build a new plush friend at our build-a-buddy station and savour sticky maple taffy on a stick. Guests can explore even more of the Resort on snowshoes, cross-country skis and fat bikes which are available for rent at the Harbour Master Building. A spectacular fireworks display will be featured on Saturday night. Gaze up in wonder as you cuddle by the campfire or stroll down the boardwalk. Details
311 Big Bay Point Rd, Innisfil
Blue Water Acres Resort
Situated in the heart of Muskoka, an area renowned in winter for its large annual snowfall. During winter there are multiple activities on site to choose from including skating, tubing, and snowshoeing. Snowboarding, downhill skiing, dog sledding, sleigh rides and snowmobiling are all available close by. Spend Family Day weekend with your family at Blue Water Acres. Details
1052 Rat Bay Rd, Huntsville