As Alberta is slowly reopening, we can now enjoy various attractions and parks in and around Calgary.
Here is a list of activities to enjoy in and around Calgary.
For online & drive-in/in-person and virtual events, see things to do this weekend in Calgary.
1. Visit Calgary Area Museums & Art Galleries
- Visit the Hangar Flight Museum to see displays of over 24 aircrafts including Avro Lancaster.
- Explore Heritage Park.
- Visit Gasoline Alley Museum – a vintage car museum which houses extensive antique car and memorabilia collection is part of the Heritage Village historical park.
- Explore one of the best military museums in the country and see exhibits detailing the life at the helm in a Second World War wheelhouse, and during peacekeeping in today’s world. The Military Museums will reopen from June 15th.
- Enjoy some of the best views from the top of Calgary Tower. Scenic Lookouts in Calgary
- Enjoy mini-golf at Winsport – Canada Olympic Park.
- Enjoy the thrill of the amusement rides and have carefree fun at Calaway Park.
2. Explore Zoos & Gardens
- Butterfield acres will bring ponies and goats to your home for birthday parties.
- Visit Pearce Estate Park to explore the wetlands.
- Calgary Farmyard (Calgary Corn Maze & Fun Farm)
- Visit the Calgary zoo.
- Visit Chinook Honey Company & Chinook Arch Meadery in Okotoks to learn about bees.
- Bring friends and family with you to enjoy the GOOD things in life including an over the top Active Learning Park with a 4 storey Ant Farm full of slides and climbers, a Petting Zoo with kissing Alpaca, crazy fun Ziplines and more at Granary Road
3. Enjoy Nature Parks
- Visit Banff National Park Outdoor areas and trails. Banff Gondola is open and Mt Norquay Via Ferrata
- All Calgary Area Parks & Conservation areas are open.
- Enjoy a nature walk at Inglewood Bird Sanctuary. This 36-hectare wildlife reserve is visited by more than 270 species of birds, 21 species of mammals (including deer), 2 amphibians, 2 reptiles, 7 species of fish and 27 species of butterflies.
- Enjoy the Botanical Gardens of Silver Springs. There are over fourteen individual gardens each displaying unique features. Best visited from late June.
- Reader Rock Garden: This historic site offers beautiful trees, plants, and shrubs that you may not find elsewhere in Calgary. The original tenant used the area to test different plants in order to find out what would grow in Calgary’s sometimes hostile land.
- Stroll through the formal Beaulieu Gardens, situated on the 2.8 acre Lougheed estate. It is free and open to the public.
4. Go Downhill Karting
Go downhill karting at Canada Olympic Park! Climb aboard your Luge cart that features brakes and steering system and have a unique experience as gravity takes you down to the bottom of the hill over an 1800 metres purpose-built track.
5. Visit an Indoor Amusement Centre
Calgary has lots of indoor attractions. Many of them are open. Enjoy indoor Go Karting at SPEEDERS Indoor Prokarts or play glow in the dark mini golf at Monster Mini Golf.
6. Go Fishing
Looking for a great fishing spot to call your own? Alberta Conservation Association and Alberta Environment and Parks have stocked waterbodies across the province to create over 260 different fishing opportunities.
7. Float on Bow River
Enjoy canoeing & kayaking in Calgary region ponds, lakes & rivers. Water Safety Advisory/Bow River Advisory
- Take a trip down the Bow River or Elbow River. If you own a raft (or rent), you may make your way down the river and finish your journey at St. Patricks Island or Princes Island Park.
- Harvie Passage – Enjoy Whitewater Paddling in Calgary’s Bow River (for experienced users only)
- Go paddling at Glenbow Reservoir. The Glenmore Reservoir will re-open for recreational use on June 15.
8. Play Sports
- Go play golf. Golf Courses are open.
- Playgrounds, skateparks, tennis, pickleball, volleyball and basketball courts, outdoor parks and athletic tracks are all open.
- All indoor recreation facilities are closed.
9. Watch a Movie at the Theatre
10. Eat Out
11. Enjoy Drive-in/in Person Events
12. Explore Calgary