The government of Ontario has issued a new emergency order under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act to close all outdoor recreational amenities, such as sports fields and playgrounds, effective immediately in an effort to stop the spread of COVID-19.
Green spaces in parks, trails, ravines and conservation areas that aren’t otherwise closed would remain open for walkthrough access, but individuals must maintain the safe physical distance of at least two metres apart from others.
What is closed:
- All communal or shared, public or private, outdoor recreational amenities everywhere in Ontario including but not limited to
- sports fields
- basketball and tennis courts
- off-leash dog parks
- skateboard and BMX parks
- picnic areas
- outdoor community gardens
- park shelters
- outdoor exercise equipment
- condo parks
- Other outdoor recreational amenities.
Ontario’s provincial parks and conservation reserves remain closed. The government has also extended the Declaration of Emergency and associated emergency measures for another two weeks. Ontario has also prohibited public events and social gatherings of more than five people.