100 ways to be part of the Energy during this summer in Calgary
Activities, events, festivals and adventures in and around Calgary this summer of 2018.
- Take a trip down the Bow River or Elbow River. You can rent kayak/rafts from Paddle Station and make your way down the river and finish your journey at St. Patricks Island or Princes Island Park. Water Safety Advisory/Bow River Advisory
- Join for Family Day Festival and Powwow at Former Indian Village, Calgary Stampede Grounds.
- How many Oysters can you eat at one go? Find out at the 2nd annual Alberta Oyster Fest!
- Get lost in the maze that is 10+ acres in size with the corn reaching a peak height of 10 feet.
- Rise with the sun to flag off the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth – line up the streets to watch two hours of entertainment consisting of intricate floats, marching bands, western riders and much more!
Friday, July 6, 2018
- Step into a wizarding world full of brilliant oddities at Kensington’s Diagon Alley.
Sunday, July 29, 2018 | 10:00 AM to 5:30 PM @ Kensington Calgary
- See how far you can see from top of the Calgary Tower? Join for Calgary Tower’s 50th Anniversary Block Party on June 30th.
9:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m, daily in summer. Cost: Adults (13-64) $9.00 to $18.00; Block Party: Free/Half price admission to the tower.
- Enjoy most authentic and delicious Mexican food, liquor vendors, artisan market, kids area and so much more during Mexifest!
- Try on an authentic RCMP uniform at Fort Calgary National Historic Site.
- Head down to the Shaw Millenium Park for some of the finest music to be had on the planet during Calgary International Blues Festival.
July 30 – August 5, 2018 | Shaw Millenium Park, Calgary | $50 & up
- 25 EPIC obstacles, 5 rugged kilometers, and 1 rockin’ party! Test your mettle at Rugged Maniac 5k Obstacle Race.
July 28, 2018 @ Spruce Meadows
- Discover Canada’s Military History at The Military Museums.
Monday – Sunday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM | $5 to $15.
- Find out who will scream the loudest as you journey through the Timber Falls at western Canada’s Largest Outdoor Family Amusement Park.
Open Victoria Day Weekend (May) to Thanksgiving Weekend October;
Daily in Summer (10:00 AM to 07:00 PM)
Admission: $31.00 to $40.00
You may like: Amusement Parks in Alberta
- Re-discover Calgary on bike during Cyclepalooza – a community-driven, do-it-yourself bicycle festival.
July 13 – July 22, 2018
- Celebrate, learn, and savour Turkish hospitality, culture, heritage and cuisine at Calgary Turkish Festival.
July 19 to 22, 2018 | @ Eau Claire festival Plaza
- Celebrate diverse traditions, deep roots and cool grooves and hear fiercely independent, creative troubadours and master instrumentalists at Calgary Folk Festival.
July 26 to 29, 2018 @ Prince’s Island Park, Calgary | $15.00 – $60.00
- With over 8 food trucks, 70 vendors, children’s area (bouncy castle, beach volleyball, giant games), and entertainment on the amphitheater stage, the The Markets at Mount Royal x Little Modern Market is surely to impress all who come!
Friday, July 28, 2018 | 10:00am- 4:00pm @ Mount Royal University
- Enjoy a free concert at Heritage Town Square (front of Heritage Park before the gates in the Engineered Air Bandstand.)
Wednesday evenings, July 4 – August 29, 2018 | 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Indulge in a 9 oz pour of wine for the price of a 6 oz pour on all of Cilantro’s award-winning glass pours at Cilantro’s secluded patio this summer!
- Head to Chestermere the annual Chestermere Water Festival! Watch the epic wakeboard completion, enjoy the tasty food truck line, take a boat tour, have a blast with your kids in the Kids Fun Zone, browse the Artisan Market or visit the Beer Gardens.
Saturday, July 28, 2018 | 11:00 AM – 11:00 PM @ John Peake Park
- Discover the lure of fishing together as a family at Bow Habitat Station.
- Go paddling at Bowness Park!
- Have you explored Fish Creek Provincial Park? The park has more than 80 kilometres of pathways – 30 km paved & 50 km of shale.
- Pet Bennett’s wallabies!
Open from June. Summer Hours: July 3 through September 2
Wednesday to Sunday and Holiday Mondays | 11am to 5pm @ Cobb’s Adventure Park and Corn Maze. – $14
- Welcome summer festival season and attend Sled Island annual summer festival featuring over 250 bands plus film, comedy and art across 30+ venues in Calgary!
June 20 – 24, 2018 @ Various Venues, Calgary
Enjoy beach time at Calgary’s one and only public beach – Sikome Lake.
June 23 – September 3, 2018 | 10:00 AM – 07:30 PM, Daily. Cost: $3 to $5
- Celebrate Canada 151!
- Best way to welcome Barbeque season – treat your tummy at BBQ on the Elbow – Teams from all over North America will present chicken, pork ribs, pork shoulder and brisket to certified judges for $10,000 in prize money and bragging rights.
- Discover Calgary’s heritage through neighbourhood concerts, walks, talks at museums, heritage buildings, cemeteries, parks, libraries and archives during Historic Calgary Week.
- Learn more about Alberta’s history at Canada’s largest living history museum by number of exhibits and savour a taste of the golden age of luxury rail travel with an exceptional dining experience aboard the River Forth.
- Have an epic weekend of country music during Country Thunder Music Festival.
August 17 – 19, 2018 @ Prarie Winds Park, 223 Castleridge Blvd NE, Calgary
- Enjoy a day at Spruce Meadows, world’s premier show jumping and equestrian facility. There are several tournament over the course of summer, finishing up with miss Masters – worlds richest show jumping tournament.
- Have a late night at Terminus Festival – Western Canada’s only multi-day industrial/ebm/dark electro festival.
July 27 – 29, 2018 @ Dickens, 1000 9th Ave. SW, Calgary
- Check out Calgary’s Skyline from Nose Hill Park!
- Spend a summer afternoon on the beautiful urban island oasis, that is St Patrick’s Island.
- Taste the most extravagant foods at the Calgary Stampede and dance the night away with iconic chart-toppers during Virgin Mobile Stampede Concert Series. Virgin Mobile Stampede Concert Series. Calgary Stampede: July 6 – 15, 2018
- Be active at Canada Olympic Park. From Mountain Biking, Zipline, Summer Bobsleigh Rides, Mini Golf, Mountain biking, Climbing Wall, Spiderweb, Eurobungy, there is plenty for all ages/ability levels. Open Daily/Hours Vary depending on activity.
- Tee off at Calgary’s golf courses. The city holds Beginner Nights on select courses on various Monday nights where you will play on a beginner friendly nine hole course and golf in a fun, relaxed atmosphere with others of the same ability!
- Show off your skating skills at Shaw Millennium Park.
- Eat Latin food and show of your Salsa skills at Fiestaval – a free and family-oriented, multicultural arts and entertainment festival highlighting the Latin American Culture.
July 20 – 22, 2018 | 11:00 AM – 11:00 PM @ Calgary Olympic Plaza
- Bird watch at Inglewood Bird Sanctuary.
- Head to Kananaskis Country and discover amazing summer activities available in our backyard!
- Celebrate the first week of August and enjoy Western Canada’s largest outdoor dance music event – Chasing Summer Festival. This year’s lineup boasts nearly 30 acts across three stages including RL Grime, Borgore, Cash Cash, Malaa, and more.
Saturday August 4 – Sunday, August 5, 2018 | 01:00 PM – 11:00 PM @ Max Bell Centre Festival Grounds | $129.95 & up
- Be treated to authentic Japanese customs, presentations of traditional music, dance & song, martial arts demonstrations, and more at Calgary Japanese “Omatsuri” Festival.
Saturday August 11th 2018 | 10 AM – 5 PM @ Max Bell Centre, 1001 Barlow Trail SE., Calgary
- Learn how to Fly Trapeze at Flying Trapeze. Get a taste of Trapeze during open Fly at Rocky Mountain Flying Trapeze, Wild Wild West Event Centre.
- Learn more about aviation history and evolution of flight and climb aboard historic aircrafts during open Aircraft Days at The Hangar Flight Museum.
Open Aircraft Days: June 23-September 30 | Saturdays and Sundays @ Hangar Flight Museum.
- Go on a DIY tour of downtown Calgary.
- Explore Canmore!
- Discover Calgary region’s only Dark Sky Preserve — Ann and Sandy Cross Conservation Area!
- Enjoy live music with family and friends in beautiful parks around the city. Various dates @ Various Calgary Parks.
- Sit, savour and shoot the breeze with friends at East Village’s courtyard or indulge in retail therapy at East Village Junction Pop Up Retail Park.
- Explore the maze of stalls featuring local artisans and food vendors, some of Calgary’s best food trucks, the entertainment of buskers and spirited live music at Inglewood Night Market.
July 13th, August 10th, September 14th, September 15th, 2018 @ 9th Avenue and 10th Street SE, Calgary
- Ye Men of Calgary!
Hit ’em again, ye men of Calgary
Get on the ball and let’s go marching down the field
While there’s a goal in sight, play on with all your might
‘Til the victory’s won, get in and fight, fight, fight! Show them you are behind them and cheer the loudest when Red and White win the day! Calgary Stampeders Home Games!
- Enjoy tunes by Dj Butta and music by various artists as you browse a VAST ARRAY of hand-picked food, drink, art, fashion and gift vendors during Sunalta Summer Soko.
- Run, bike, walk or rollerblade 150kms of the Calgary’s Pathways.
- Join Alberta’s emerging artists in idyllic Prince’s Island Park for the Shakespearean silly comedy featuring adventure, outlaws, and even a dog! June 29 – August 19, 2018
- Join for the biggest pet party in the city and see Running Of The Bulls, Wiener dog races, a puppy stampede and dock diving.
July 28 & 29, 2018 | 10:00 AM – 04:00 PM @ Eau Claire, 200 Barclay Parade SW, Calgary
- Explore Calgary’s communities through Stampede Breakfasts!
- Stroll through the splendid Beaulieu Gardens, situated on the 2.8 acre Lougheed estate.
- Celebrate Alberta’s Natural Provincial Parks and Learn about Protecting our Watersheds during Parks Day & Creekfest!
Saturday, July 21, 2018 | 11:00 AM – 04:00 PM @ The Glennfied area, Fish Creek Provincial Park
- Take a stroll along the RiverWalk to the confluence of the Bow and Elbow Rivers.
- Beat the heat and enjoy the summer weather in Calgary by visiting one of Calgary’s many wading pools, and spray parks.
- Enjoy the thrills of going downhill on a 1.8 km long track on a wheeled ride at Skyline luge. — One Luge ride $16
Open 7 days in Summer June 30 – August 24 | 10:00 AM – 09:00 PM
August 25 – September 3 | 10:00 AM – 08:00 PM
- Give fishing a try on Alberta’s water bodies with open fishing seasons (not in national parks) on July 7 and 8, 2018, when fishing license is not required.
- Experience uncensored, unforgettable, unexpected theatre during Calgary Fringe Festival.
August 3 to 11, 2018 @ Multiple venues in Inglewood, Calgary
- Beat the heat with an ice cream from Village Ice Cream!
- Taste something new at Calgary’s Farmer’s Markets!
- Enjoy JUKEBOX HERO The Musical – the world-wide debut of a new musical based on Foreigner’s Hits.
- Discover Calgary’s global cuisines from a mix of unique restaurants and beverage companies during Taste of Calgary.
August 9 – 12, 2018 @ Eau Claire, 200 Barkley Parade S.W. Calgary
- Hitch a wagon, rope a steer, saddle a horse, and enjoy campfire stories surrounded by the largest collection of historical ranch buildings in Canada at Bar U Ranch National Historic Site.
- Hike to the waterfalls near Calgary.
- Enjoy an outdoor movie at Kensington – Purr Parking Lot!
- Explore Douglas Fir Trail that meanders through densely wooded escarpment with dramatic views of the Bow River Valley and then enjoy a picnic at Edworthy Park!
- Take the Bee to Bottle tour at Chinook Honey Company!
- Head to Banff for Cave and Basin Lantern Tour! Lights, sounds and a little magic from the fog machine conjures up the past including your host, the ghost of David Galletly, the first caretaker of the Cave and Basin.
- See all breed dog shows, agility, obedience, rally-o, scent hurdling, junior handling events during Alberta Kennel Club Summer Classic Show.
August 3 to 6, 2018 | 0800-1600 @ Spruce Meadows
- Inglewood Sunfest is the place to be to discover a great new band, to be amazed by street performers, and to shop at over 200 vendors.
Saturday, August 4th 2018 @ Mainstreet Inglewood, Calgary
- Rediscover the night skies during Milky way days at Rothney Astrophysical Observatory.
- Visit Er Shun and Da Mao and the twin cubs Jia Panpan and Jia Yueyue at the Zoo!
- Go for 6 hours of multicultural performances, ethnic foods, and unique handicrafts and celebrate Heritage Day in Calgary.
Monday, August 6th 12:00 pm – 6:00 pm @ Olympic Plaza
- Plan a date at Reader Rock Garden, enjoy a stroll amongst the designated provincial historic site and historic garden – one of the city’s most unique cultural landscapes (open dawn to dusk). Have lunch at Reader Rock Cafe .
- Experience the festival that stemmed from the 2000-year-old Chinese legend and cheer the paddlers as they stir up the calm reservoir during Calgary Dragon Boat Race & Festival.
Saturday & Sunday August 11 – 12 2018 @ North Glenmore Park, Calgary.
- Delight in the fireworks that light-up the skies during Calgary’s very own international fireworks festival.
August 16 – 25, 2018 | 06:00 PM – 11:30 PM @ Elliston Park, Calgary
- Get to Millarville for Southern Alberta’s oldest and largest country fairs – 110th Priddis & Millarville Fair.
August 18 to 19, 2018 @ Millarville Racetrack
- Enjoy the sights and sounds of New Orleans; purple, green and gold pageantry; a variety of high quality cultural performers, dance groups and musicians; outdoor activities; and a wide variety of delicious cuisine at Marda Gras Street Festival.
Sunday, August 12, 2018 | 10:00 AM – 05:00 PM @ Marda Loop – 33rd and 34th Avenues SW, Calgary
- Enjoy a walk along the spectacular 1300 feet Wall Garden of The Botanical Gardens of Silver Springs.
- Take in free summer concerts at Stephen Avenue Walk on select days and do not miss the summer market held on select Tuesdays. Farmer’s Markets in Calgary
- Stop in at Alberta’s farms and ranches for a visit and see demonstrations, and learn more about the farmers who grow their food.
August 18 & 19, 2018 @ Participating Farms, Alberta
- Do Yoga with Puppies AND Goats and then join for Saturday evening for DINNER EN’ DOGGE; A sit-down celebration for you and your bestiie!
August 3 & 4, 2018 @ Hillhurst Sunnyside Community Association
- Circle in August 18, 19, & 20 in your calendar and take part in Western Canada’s biggest Latin Festival, Expo Latino featuring World Class performances, sizzling dancing, exotic food, and an art market.
August 17-19, 2018 @ Prince’s Island Park, Calgary
- Taste the best meat from farms of BC and Alberta, prepared by an extraordinary line-up of chefs – Brewery and The Beast.
August 19, 2018 | 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM @ Fort Calgary
- Dancing your way down Stephen avenue to Shaw Millennium park at Carifest Multi-Cultural parade and festival.
August 25, 2018 @ Shaw Millenium Park, Calgary
- Watch the biggest names in Proffessional Golf tee off at Shaw Charity Classic – one of the two Canadian stops of PGA Champions Tour.
August 29 – September 2, 2018 | Canyon Meadows Golf and Country Club, Calgary
- Wave your Rainbow Flag at Calgary Pride – Enjoy live music on the main stage, activities for youth and children in the family zone, and acquainted with the local community!
August 24 – September 3, 2018, Pride Parade and Festival – Princes Island Park
- Get to know Filipino arts, culture and traditions at Fiesta Filipino YYC.
August 31 – September 2, 2018 @ Olympic Plaza, Calgary
- Taste finger licking foods at Canada’s Oldest BBQ Festival – BBQ on the Bow!
Saturday, September 1 – Sunday, September 2, 2018 @ Montgomery Community Centre, 5003 16th Avenue NW, Calgary
- Whether you are a Scot or not – attend Calgary Highland Games, one of the oldest gatherings in North America.
- Have a fun day at Circle – The Traveling Food, Beer & Music Carnival a travelling carnival of local food, beer and music unlike any other.Saturday September 8, 2018
- Race down the track at Shakers Fun Centre!
- Drive to the Drumheller for an enjoyable day trip. Or choose from any of the 25 day trips given here and have fabulous staycation in Calgary.
You may also like:
Free Things to Do this Summmer in Calgary