100 ways to be part of the Energy during this summer in Calgary
Activities, events, festivals and adventures in and around Calgary this summer of 2019.
- Take a trip down the Bow River or Elbow River. You can rent kayak/rafts from Paddle Station and make your way down the river and finish your journey at St. Patricks Island or Princes Island Park. Water Safety Advisory/Bow River Advisory
- Get lost in the maze that is 10+ acres in size with the corn reaching a peak height of 10 feet.
- Rise with the sun to flag off the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth – line up the streets to watch two hours of entertainment consisting of intricate floats, marching bands, western riders and much more!
Friday, July 5, 2019
- See how far you can see from top of the Calgary Tower!
9:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m, daily in summer. Cost: Adults (13-64) $9.00 to $18.00
- Enjoy most authentic and delicious Mexican food, liquor vendors, artisan market, kids area and so much more during Mexifest!
- Have you tried Axe Throwing? Try it for free at The Backyard Axe Throwing League!
- Try on an authentic RCMP uniform at Fort Calgary National Historic Site.
- Head down to the Shaw Millenium Park for some of the finest music to be had on the planet during Calgary International Blues Festival.
July 29 – August 54 2019 | Shaw Millenium Park, Calgary |$25 & up
- Discover Canada’s Military History at The Military Museums.
Monday – Sunday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM | $5 to $15.
- Find out who will scream the loudest as you journey through the Timber Falls at western Canada’s Largest Outdoor Family Amusement Park.
Open Victoria Day Weekend (May) to Thanksgiving Weekend October;
Daily in Summer (10:00 AM to 07:00 PM)
Admission: $33.00 to $41.95
You may like: Amusement Parks in Alberta
- Re-discover Calgary on bike during Cyclepalooza – a community-driven, do-it-yourself bicycle festival.
July 12 – July 21, 2019
- Celebrate, learn, and savour Turkish hospitality, culture, heritage and cuisine at Calgary Turkish Festival.
July 12 to 14, 2019 | @ Eau Claire festival Plaza
- Celebrate diverse traditions, deep roots and cool grooves and hear fiercely independent, creative troubadours and master instrumentalists at Calgary Folk Festival.
July 25 to 28, 2019 @ Prince’s Island Park, Calgary | $65.00 & up
- Enjoy a free concert at Heritage Town Square (front of Heritage Park before the gates in the Engineered Air Bandstand.)
Wednesday evenings, July 3 – August 28, 2019 | 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Indulge in a 9 oz pour of wine for the price of a 6 oz pour on all of Cilantro’s award-winning glass pours at Cilantro’s secluded patio this summer!
- Head to Chestermere the annual Chestermere Water Festival! Watch the epic wakeboard completion, enjoy the tasty food truck line, take a boat tour, have a blast with your kids in the Kids Fun Zone, browse the Artisan Market or visit the Beer Gardens.
Saturday, July 27, 2019 | 11:00 AM – 11:00 PM @ John Peake Park
- Discover the lure of fishing together as a family at Bow Habitat Station.
- Go paddling at Bowness Park!
- Have you explored Fish Creek Provincial Park? The park has more than 80 kilometres of pathways – 30 km paved & 50 km of shale.
- Pet Bennett’s wallabies!
Open from June. Summer Hours: July 3 through September 2
Wednesday to Sunday and Holiday Mondays | 11am to 5pm @ Cobb’s Adventure Park and Corn Maze. – $18 (includes GST) for ages 3 and up
- Welcome summer festival season and attend Sled Island annual summer festival featuring over 250 bands plus film, comedy and art across 30+ venues in Calgary!
June 19 – 23, 2019 @ Various Venues, Calgary
- Enjoy beach time at Calgary’s one and only public beach – Sikome Lake.
June 29 – September 2, 2019 | 10:00 AM – 07:00 PM, Daily. Cost: $3 to $5
- Celebrate Canada 152!
- Set sail for a scenic summer cruise on Calgary’s only paddlewheel boat and enjoy the breathtaking views of the Glenmore Reservoir & the majestic Rocky Mountains.
- Enjoy cocktails featuring Eau Claire Distillery’s farm-to-glass spirits as well as a three-course meal featuring local ingredients during Farm Dinner Series.
- Catch the thunderous roar of formation-flying jets screaming across the Springbank sky!
- Discover Calgary’s heritage through neighbourhood concerts, walks, talks at museums, heritage buildings, cemeteries, parks, libraries and archives during Historic Calgary Week.
- Learn more about Alberta’s history at Canada’s largest living history museum by number of exhibits and savour a taste of the golden age of luxury rail travel with an exceptional dining experience aboard the River Forth.
- Have an epic weekend of country music during Country Thunder Music Festival.
Friday, August 16 to Sunday, August 18, 2019 @ Prarie Winds Park, 223 Castleridge Blvd NE, Calgary
- Enjoy a day at Spruce Meadows, world’s premier show jumping and equestrian facility. There are several tournament over the course of summer, finishing up with miss Masters – worlds richest show jumping tournament.
- Have a late night at Terminus Festival – Western Canada’s only multi-day industrial/ebm/dark electro festival.
July 26 – 28, 2019 @ Dickens, 1000 9th Ave. SW, Calgary
- Check out Calgary’s Skyline from Nose Hill Park!
- Spend a summer afternoon on the beautiful urban island oasis, that is St Patrick’s Island.
- Taste the most extravagant foods at the Calgary Stampede and dance the night away with iconic chart-toppers during Virgin Mobile Stampede Concert Series. Virgin Mobile Stampede Concert Series. Calgary Stampede: July 5 – 14, 2019
- Be active at Canada Olympic Park. From Mountain Biking, Zipline, Summer Bobsleigh Rides, Mini Golf, Mountain biking, Climbing Wall, Spiderweb, Eurobungy, there is plenty for all ages/ability levels. Open Daily/Hours Vary depending on activity.
- Tee off at Calgary’s golf courses. The city holds Beginner Nights on select courses on various Monday nights where you will play on a beginner friendly nine hole course and golf in a fun, relaxed atmosphere with others of the same ability!
- Show off your skating skills at Shaw Millennium Park.
- Eat Latin food and show of your Salsa skills at Fiestaval – a free and family-oriented, multicultural arts and entertainment festival highlighting the Latin American Culture.
July 19 – 21, 2019 | 11:00 AM – 11:00 PM @ Calgary Olympic Plaza
- Bird watch at Inglewood Bird Sanctuary.
- What’s more fun than a night at the library? Being a knight at the library! Have a fairy-tale adventure at the Locked Library.
- Head to Kananaskis Country and discover amazing summer activities available in our backyard!
- Celebrate the first week of August and enjoy Western Canada’s largest outdoor dance music event – Chasing Summer Festival. This year’s lineup boasts nearly 30 acts including Chainsmokers, Above & Beyond and more!
Saturday August 3 – Sunday, August 4, 2019 | 01:00 PM – 11:00 PM @ Max Bell Centre Festival Grounds | $149.95 & up
- Be treated to authentic Japanese customs, presentations of traditional music, dance & song, martial arts demonstrations, and more at Calgary Japanese “Omatsuri” Festival.
Saturday August 10th 2019 | 10 AM – 5 PM @ Max Bell Centre, 1001 Barlow Trail SE., Calgary
- Learn how to Fly Trapeze at Flying Trapeze. Get a taste of Trapeze during open Fly at Rocky Mountain Flying Trapeze, Wild Wild West Event Centre.
- Learn more about aviation history and evolution of flight and climb aboard historic aircrafts during open Aircraft Days at The Hangar Flight Museum.
Open Aircraft Days: June 22-September 2 | Saturdays and Sundays @ Hangar Flight Museum.
- Go on a DIY tour of downtown Calgary.
- Explore Canmore!
- Discover Calgary region’s only Dark Sky Preserve — Ann and Sandy Cross Conservation Area!
- Enjoy live music with family and friends in beautiful parks around the city. Various dates @ Various Calgary Parks.
- Sit, savour and shoot the breeze with friends at East Village’s courtyard or indulge in retail therapy at East Village Junction Pop Up Retail Park.
- Explore the maze of stalls featuring local artisans and food vendors, some of Calgary’s best food trucks, the entertainment of buskers and spirited live music at Inglewood Night Market.
- Ye Men of Calgary!
Hit ’em again, ye men of Calgary
Get on the ball and let’s go marching down the field
While there’s a goal in sight, play on with all your might
‘Til the victory’s won, get in and fight, fight, fight! Show them you are behind them and cheer the loudest when Red and White win the day! Calgary Stampeders Home Games!
- Run, bike, walk or rollerblade 150kms of the Calgary’s Pathways.
- Join Alberta’s emerging artists in idyllic Prince’s Island Park for the Shakespearean silly comedy featuring thrilling chase of love, identity and confusion! June 27 – August 18, 2019
- Join for the biggest pet party in the city and see Running Of The Bulls, Wiener dog races, a puppy stampede and dock diving.
July 27 & 28, 2019 | 10:00 AM – 04:00 PM @ Eau Claire, 200 Barclay Parade SW, Calgary
- Explore Calgary’s communities through Stampede Breakfasts!
- Stroll through the splendid Beaulieu Gardens, situated on the 2.8 acre Lougheed estate.
- Celebrate Alberta’s Natural Provincial Parks and Learn about Protecting our Watersheds during Parks Day & Creekfest!
Saturday, July 20, 2019 | 11:00 AM – 04:00 PM @ The Glennfied area, Fish Creek Provincial Park
- Take a stroll along the RiverWalk to the confluence of the Bow and Elbow Rivers.
- Beat the heat and enjoy the summer weather in Calgary by visiting one of Calgary’s many wading pools, and spray parks.
- Learn all about urban beekeeping with MOB HONEY’s workshops at The Hive at East Village. You’ll get a tour of the five beehives behind the EV Experience Centre and get up close and personal with thousands of honey bees who live there!
- Enjoy the thrills of going downhill on a 1.8 km long track on a wheeled ride at Skyline luge. — One Luge ride $16
Open on all days in Summer June 29 – August 23 | 10:00 AM – 09:00 PM
August 24 – September 2 | 10:00 AM – 08:00 PM
- Give fishing a try on Alberta’s water bodies with open fishing seasons (not in national parks) on July 6 and 7, 2019, when fishing license is not required.
- Experience uncensored, unforgettable, unexpected theatre during Calgary Fringe Festival.
August 2 to 10, 2019 @ Multiple venues in Inglewood, Calgary
- Beat the heat with an ice cream from Village Ice Cream!
- Taste something new at Calgary’s Farmer’s Markets!
- Discover Calgary’s global cuisines from a mix of unique restaurants and beverage companies during Taste of Calgary.
August 8 – 11, 2019 @ Eau Claire, 200 Barkley Parade S.W. Calgary
- Hitch a wagon, rope a steer, saddle a horse, and enjoy campfire stories surrounded by the largest collection of historical ranch buildings in Canada at Bar U Ranch National Historic Site.
- Hike to the waterfalls near Calgary.
- Cheer Calgary’s newest sport team, Calvary FC.
- Enjoy an authentic surf culture experience during Slam Festival.
- Explore Douglas Fir Trail that meanders through densely wooded escarpment with dramatic views of the Bow River Valley and then enjoy a picnic at Edworthy Park!
- Take the Bee to Bottle tour at Chinook Honey Company!
- Head to Banff for Cave and Basin Lantern Tour! Lights, sounds and a little magic from the fog machine conjures up the past including your host, the ghost of David Galletly, the first caretaker of the Cave and Basin.
- See all breed dog shows, agility, obedience, rally-o, scent hurdling, junior handling events during Alberta Kennel Club Summer Classic Show.
August 2 to 5, 2019 | 0800-1600 @ Spruce Meadows
Inglewood Sunfest is the place to be to discover a great new band, to be amazed by street performers, and to shop at over 200 vendors.
Saturday, August 3th 2019 @ Mainstreet Inglewood, Calgary
- Rediscover the night skies during Milky way days at Rothney Astrophysical Observatory.
- Visit Er Shun and Da Mao and the twin cubs Jia Panpan and Jia Yueyue at the Zoo!
- Go for 6 hours of multicultural performances, ethnic foods, and unique handicrafts and celebrate Heritage Day in Calgary.
Monday, August 5th 12:00 pm – 6:00 pm @ Olympic Plaza
- Plan a date at Reader Rock Garden, enjoy a stroll amongst the designated provincial historic site and historic garden – one of the city’s most unique cultural landscapes (open dawn to dusk). Have lunch at Reader Rock Cafe .
- Go on a magical journey weaved by Cirque du Soleil’s Luzia. LUZIA takes you to an imaginary Mexico, like in a waking dream, where light (“luz” in Spanish) quenches the spirit and rain (“lluvia”) soothes the soul.
- Experience the festival that stemmed from the 2000-year-old Chinese legend and cheer the paddlers as they stir up the calm reservoir during Calgary Dragon Boat Race & Festival.
Saturday & Sunday August 10 – 11 2019 @ North Glenmore Park, Calgary.
Delight in the fireworks that light-up the skies during Calgary’s very own international fireworks festival.
August 15 – 24, 2019 | 06:00 PM – 11:30 PM @ Elliston Park, Calgary
- Get to Millarville for Southern Alberta’s oldest and largest country fairs – Priddis & Millarville Fair.
August 17 to 18, 2019 @ Millarville Racetrack
- Enjoy the sights and sounds of New Orleans; purple, green and gold pageantry; a variety of high quality cultural performers, dance groups and musicians; outdoor activities; and a wide variety of delicious cuisine at Marda Gras Street Festival.
Sunday, August 11, 2019 | 10:00 AM – 05:00 PM @ Marda Loop – 33rd and 34th Avenues SW, Calgary
- Enjoy a walk along the spectacular 1300 feet Wall Garden of The Botanical Gardens of Silver Springs.
- Take in free summer concerts at Stephen Avenue Walk on select days.
- Stop in at Alberta’s farms and ranches for a visit and see demonstrations, and learn more about the farmers who grow their food.
August 17 & 18, 2019 @ Participating Farms, Alberta
- Join for mural tours and artist events as a flurry of new murals are being painted. Artists will be installing their works throughout the week, self-guided tours will be available, and various events will take place in conjunction with the art installation.
- Walk amidst beautiful Sunflower Maze!
- Taste the best meat from farms of BC and Alberta, prepared by an extraordinary line-up of chefs – Brewery and The Beast.
August 25, 2019 | 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM @ Fort Calgary
- Dancing your way down Stephen avenue to Shaw Millennium park at Carifest Multi-Cultural parade and festival.
August 17, 2019 @ Shaw Millenium Park, Calgary
- Watch the biggest names in Proffessional Golf tee off at Shaw Charity Classic – one of the two Canadian stops of PGA Champions Tour.
August 26 – September 1, 2019 | Canyon Meadows Golf and Country Club, Calgary
- Wave your Rainbow Flag at Calgary Pride – Enjoy live music on the main stage, activities for youth and children in the family zone, and acquainted with the local community!
August 23 – September 2, 2019, Pride Parade and Festival – Princes Island Park
- Get to know Filipino arts, culture and traditions at Fiesta Filipino YYC.
August 30 – September 1, 2019 @ Olympic Plaza, Calgary
- Taste finger licking foods at Canada’s Oldest BBQ Festival – BBQ on the Bow!
Saturday, August 31 – Sunday, September 1, 2019 @ Montgomery Community Centre, 5003 16th Avenue NW, Calgary
- Whether you are a Scot or not – attend Calgary Highland Games, one of the oldest gatherings in North America.
- Have a fun day at Circle – The Traveling Food, Beer & Music Carnival a travelling carnival of local food, beer and music unlike any other. September 13 & 14, 2019
- Race down the track at Shakers Fun Centre!
- Drive to the Drumheller for an enjoyable day trip. Or choose from any of the 25 day trips given here and have fabulous staycation in Calgary.
You may also like:
Free Things to Do this Summer in Calgary